Friday, January 21, 2011

Making Ribbons

We had another storm blow through New England today.  School was cancelled but work was not.  It would have been nice to have another "sew day" but I was very happy that I didn't have to use my earned time to make up for the missed day of work.  I'll admit, I'm very selfish with my earned time and like to save it for days when I'm not sick.


Lately, I've taken a bit of a hiatus from sewing.  I know, say it isn't sew!  But I have.  Sometimes I just need to take a few days away from my  machine and focus on something else.  It may be a book, word/number puzzles or it could be a knitting project but after a few days I'm ready to sit at the machine again.  Sew, although I haven't been sewing, I have been working on something quilty.  


My guild is having its quilt show in March and I'm on the ribbon committee.  I'm not sure exactly when it came about, it was at least four years ago, but another guild member had the brilliant idea of using an origami flower pattern outlined in the book Fantastic Fabric Folding by Rebeca Wat.  



They don't look like much now but add a fabric covered button to the center and place it on a ribbon and they look fantastic pinned to the winning quilts.

    

It amazes me when someone can take one pattern or one fabric and use it in an unconventional way.  Who would have thought fabric would be great for origami?  And then to have someone look at that idea and take to another level - love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment