Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another Snow Day!

Today we were hit with a Nor'Easter, causing a good part of the state to close down.  At 6:30 this morning we had about a foot and it's still snowing.

4:30 pm
7:00 am

I've had a fairly productive day.  As much as I'd love to become one with the couch, (honestly, it's the perfect day for it, I would have been at work anyway!) I just can't.  That laundry basket calls out to me, the dogs need to be let out, the kids need to eat - you know, little things like that!  

I did manage to bake some oatmeal raisin & craisin cookies.  There's just something about baking cookies on a snowy day.  

  
They're not perfect looking but they taste great!  
The scent of cinnamon really adds warmth to the whole house.

The kids went sledding next door.


They'll be exhausted by the time they get home - the snow is already up to their knees!  
Should make for some great runs down the hill!

It was a quilty day too!  I've been working on Snail Trail blocks to go on the outer border of my sailboat quilt.  I LOVE the block, I love the motion of the block - always have.  But... you need to concentrate when you make these babies!  I had 3 blocks completed and realized I mixed up the pieces.  One is a lost cause, the other one just had the outer triangles put in the wrong place so I could at least save that one.  Very frustrating!


I was going make the outside border completely out of Snail Trail blocks but a friend suggested just adding them to the corners.  She felt where the blocks are paper pieced (they're 4"), it would be much easier to cut back on the amount of blocks.  

I have to admit, I wasn't sure, I really envisioned it as having the blocks all the way around but the more I thought about it, the more I realized she was right (especially after mixing up those blocks!).  I also started thinking the blocks might overpower the quilt as the center section is only 24" x 30.5".  

I laid out the 6 blocks I have completed along with the dark teal to see how it would look.  She was right, this is the way to go.  Whew!  I'm so glad she suggested it - saved me tons of work and tons of un-sewing, I'm sure!

I love having a group of friends to bounce ideas back and forth.  Having that circle of friends, whose opinions I trust and whose ideas and creativity just wow me all the time is such a blessing.  I am truly lucky to have such friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment