Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!!

Once again, the dining room is open!

Believe it or not, this is still neat and orderly as I'm only working on one project at the moment.  Usually, I tend to work on 3 - 4 at one time.  I think I need to add more organization skills to my resolution list.  

At work, I'm very organized, everything has a place and everything is in its place.  At home, especially with my sewing area, all those rules somehow get thrown out the window.  This year, I'm determined to get it all under control.  The tricky part?  Getting everyone else in the household on the same page!!!


This project uses the X-Block ruler by Quilt Queen Designs.  I've already made the largest size but thought I'd try one using one of the smaller rulers.  Still need to sew the last two rows together, and then think about borders.  In fact, I'm thinking I may add a row of snail tails all the way around in the light and dark teal.

Last night I managed to sew another binding on, but still need to tack it down in the back.  I have those mini binder clips holding down the binding for me.  I was at work one day and forgot to bring pins with me to hold my binding down.  I had tins of these things and thought I'd borrow a few so I could work on it at lunch.  I haven't looked back since!


I had started this two years ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to finish it before Christmas but at least I'll have it ready for next year!


Jake, the ol' boy wanted to be in on the picture too.

I went to my favorite LQS today to buy binding for this guy.


I hope to make the binding and get it attached either tonight or tomorrow.

I have the binding made for this gal, below.


This is a Turning Twenty pattern.  Anyone familiar with a Turning Twenty knows how big they are.  For goodness sake, you're using 20 FQ's, of course it's going to be huge!  What I liked most about this pattern is how the sashing helps to control the randomness of the many fabrics.  


I had a lot of fun with this one.  This is a pattern called Twisty Cakes by Kimberly M. Camou.  This pattern uses a layer cake (hence the name Twisty Cakes).  I still have a layer cake with S'more snowmen on them that I plan to use with this pattern.  It's not on my spreadsheet because I haven't actually cut into it yet.  I have to finish at least three more old UFO's before I can even think about cutting into anything new that's not related to an upcoming class.

Speaking of upcoming classes...


This is one of the new Bali Pops called Grasshopper.  It is absolutely yummy!  I had a hard time picking out fabrics because each and every one is to die for!  The fact that they named them all after food and now drinks is ingenious.  Seriously, you can't get enough, they're never filling and you don't gain weight!  Now, if I could find a dessert like that, I'd be a millionaire!  

I tend to go for dark backgrounds so I chose this dark purple batik to go with the greens and purples of the Grasshopper group.  They will be used in a pattern by Cozy Home Designs called Yin Yang.  

I have another X-Block top started for yet another class so I've decided to finish that first before I start cutting into this one but I just had to open up the Bali Pop so I could stroke all the lovely fabrics.  I'll admit, there may be a little drool, but who wouldn't drool a little?  It won't be easy trying to restrain from the temptation for just a little taste, but I must be strong.  After all, good things come to those who wait... right?


No comments:

Post a Comment