Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Quilt Show

Whew!  It's been a while, I know, but I've been tied up mostly with my guild's quilt show and making class samples.  


The quilt show was very successful, we had almost 1550 people attend!  I think we had a few things work in our favor...  we had wonderful weather, partly sunny and temps in the 40's.  Nice enough to go out but not too nice to work in the yard.  This was our second year in this facility, always a plus and we hosted the Last Supper Quilt.


    
Unfortunately, my picture is a little shaky and I was losing the battery so I couldn't take as many pictures as I would have liked.  The Last Supper Quilt is traveling the country.  It was made by Dr. Locke, a retired dentist from Texas.  So far he and his wife have traveled to 32 different states displaying this wonderful quilt.  It is over 15' wide x over 5' tall.  Can you believe this is only his second quilt???  I can't!  It took him 2 1/2 years to complete (I have some that have taken me more than that and not nearly as big or impressive), consists of 51,816 1/2" squares (yes, 1/2" squares, that's not a typo) and 350 different fabrics.


Although I couldn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, I did manage to take a few of my favorites.
  
Again, a little shaky.  When I take the flash off my camera, I think it takes longer to snap the picture.  But keeping the flash on darkened the picture.  Plus, it was pretty crowded so there really wasn't much time to stand there and get it right - especially with the battery running out quickly!  And, I'll admit it, a photographer, I'm not!  Any way, this is Aunt Millie's garden by my friend, Maureen.  Maureen has a wonderful way of putting quirky fabrics together and making it work.  Honestly, I never would have thought of using red and the various fabrics that she used, as I'm a little more conservative, but I love what Maureen does.  I think her quilts are absolutely stunning!




Love this quilt, have the book, need to make it!!!  Need I say more?




I love scrap quilts (OK, I love all quilts).  I love how this person put so many fabrics together.  I need to make one of these too!


This was an online swap.  I know this because I participated in the same swap.  I just haven't done anything with my blocks yet.  I like this setting but I think I'll make more blocks to make mine a little longer.


I had to snap this one quickly and couldn't get a full picture as the row was too crowded.  Love it!




This was a free block of the month by Bunny Hill


My local quilt shop hosted this as a mystery.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to make mine this size or make it as a queen size.  Yup, still thinking about it.


Another local quilt store hosted his as a block of the month.  I still have to finish mine.  Yes, it's on the chair of shame.

I'm not a big fan of 30's fabric but thought the quilting on this quilt was outstanding.  Unfortunately, my camera did not pick up the detail.  

The pattern itself, though, is lovely.  I could definitely see this with batiks and a black background!





Honestly, the picture does not do it justice.  All hand appliqued and hand quilted.  Trust me, it's impressive!  Made by my friend Janet over at Janet Ann Creations


This was right about where my camera started to die out on me.


I hope you enjoyed the few pictures I was able to capture!  As much as I love being a part of the show and seeing it all come together, it's so nice being able to think of other things.  I can start working in the dining room again and can start putting my house back in order.  Well, not that it's ever really been in order with the kids and the dogs but you know what I mean!

1 comment:

  1. What a great quilt show! Thanks for posting. I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete